Table of Contents
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Which Ingredients Do You Need To Make Cornbread In The Microwave?
- 3 How To Make Cornbread In The Microwave
- 4 Some Tips For Making The Perfect Cornbread
- 5 What Kind Of Mixins Can You Add To Cornbread?
- 6 What Do You Like To Eat With Cornbread?
- 7 How Is Eating Cornbread Healthy?
- 8 Conclusion
Cornbread is a nutritious and popular dish in the United States, usually baked in an oven. However, you can bake the cornbread in the microwave!
This article may guide you on how to bake it and tips and side dishes to get the best taste. Keep on reading before you start cooking!
Which Ingredients Do You Need To Make Cornbread In The Microwave?
Before making delicious Jiffy cornbread, you need simple ingredients readily available in your kitchen. Including:
- Wheat flour: 1/2 cup
- Cornmeal: 1/2 cup
- Baking powder: 1 tsp
- Salt: 1/4 tsp
- Sugar: 1/4 tsp
- Vegetable oil/ unsalted butter: 3 tsp
- Milk: 3/4 cup
If you want to decorate and give a special flavor to your quick bread, you can prepare some Jalapenos or cheese. Otherwise, the above basic ingredients are enough to create the base.
How To Make Cornbread In The Microwave
First, you should combine the bread mixture before putting it in the tray and microwave. This mixture will be divided into dry and wet parts, with:
- Dry: flour, cornstarch, baking powder, add a little salt and mix well.
- Wet: sugar, vegetable oil / unsalted butter, and milk whisked together.
Start to mix the two parts until you get a smooth paste. Next, brush grease around the baking dish or microwave-safe. Pour the beaten mixture onto a plate and place it in the oven. You adjust the time from 10 – 12 minutes to medium mode to cook the bread evenly and not burn.
To check, you can insert a toothpick or a sharp stick into the center of the bread. When pulled out, the bar comes out clean; the dish is ready; if not, you can leave it for a few more minutes.
When the cake is cooked, let it cool for 1-2 minutes before eating, or cut it into small pieces. The recipe above has been added with milk to prevent the cake from drying out when made in the microwave so that it will be softer, smoother, and more fragrant. As a result, you have finished your microwave Jiffy cornbread and started enjoying it!
Some Tips For Making The Perfect Cornbread
For soft and spongy cornbread, the following tips play an extremely important role, including:
- Ensure the ingredients are all at room temperature before making them to help them measure out more accurately.
- Utilize a 9-inch baking dish (microwave-safe) or a dish safe with this appliance. Using the right plate helps your bread to be evenly cooked, not deformed, and safe to use in the microwave.
- Preheat the oven before baking, commonly used in ovens, but some microwaves also require this, and you can check its instructions.
- Mix the right proportions of flour, milk, and oil/butter to prevent the cake from drying or wet.
- Prepare mixes or toppings with your favorite ingredients. For example, cheese, Jalapenos, smoked cuts of meat, etc.
- Measure the correctness of the cake by the golden brown on its surface; besides, you can insert a toothpick/stick in the center of the cake to check.
- Enjoy the dish after letting it cool for a few minutes. The cake is warm and spongy, and not harmful to your teeth.
What Kind Of Mixins Can You Add To Cornbread?
Cornbread is a popular dish in the US; however, in the South and North of this country, there are many differences in how to enjoy them. The South usually makes this dish less sweet and combines it with toppings like bacon, jalapeño peppers, or cheese. Meanwhile, the North one is more like a dessert with sugar, honey, or various fruits.
The below example toppings may give you an easier image and make your cake look more delicious and cached-eye:
South American Style
- 1/3 cup bacon and 2 tsp diced scallions: sprinkle over tortilla mix and bake for 1-2 minutes; better served with scrambled eggs.
- 1/4 cup chopped New Mexico chile and 1/3 cup grated Cheddar cheese: sprinkle evenly over pies until cheese is melted; peppers are slightly toned and can be served with beans.
- 1/3 cup main sausage, diced, and 1 tsp poultry seasoning: served with hot cakes (usually used during holidays).
- 1/2 cup fresh corn kernels and a tsp minced basil: better when enjoyed with meatballs and sauce.
- 1/4 cup chopped pepperoni, 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, and a tsp ground black pepper: toss mixture until cheese is melted
- 1/2 cup cooked spicy shrimp, chopped, 1 tsp diced Jalapeno peppers, and 1 tsp seasoning creole: mix well, serve with hot cornbread and probably with a poached egg.
North American Style
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans and 2 tsp brown sugar: served with hot cakes
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries and 3 tsp maple syrup: served with hot cakes
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberry and grated lemon zest: filled with cake, no added butter or jam
- 1/2 cup mashed apple and 2 tsp honey: bake when the cake is almost made, do not serve with extra jam or butter
What Do You Like To Eat With Cornbread?
This cake can be combined with many different foods, then tortillas have become quite popular. Combination dishes will often harmonize the taste of the cake, helping you enjoy it more wonderful. Such as:
- Mexican chili: mildly spicy, complementing the sweetness of the cake
- Soup: this is a great way to enjoy soup with tortillas, all in one bite
- Grilled meat: reduce the fat of grilled food with a little sweetness of the pies
- Beans: often accompanied by a sauce, bean sprouts, thick sauce, and light sweetness, a spongy cake is the perfect snack
- Honey: bring the perfect sweetness to the cake, but not too harsh
In addition, many people eat this dish pure, without adding any spices or toppings, to enjoy its spongy and sweet taste.
How Is Eating Cornbread Healthy?
Besides looking for the answer to: “Can you make cornbread in the microwave?“, you should also learn more about the nutritional benefits of this dish.
Tortillas are a food packed with healthy nutrients, including fiber, vitamins, and minerals – nutritional supplements, lutein, and zeaxanthin – antioxidants, which reduce the risk of macular degeneration and vision problems.
Besides, 1/2 cup of tortillas contain 120 calories, and: Fat (2g), Saturated Fat (1g), Carbohydrates (22g), Cholesterol (20mg), Fiber (2g), Protein (4g) ) and Sodium (180mg).
This dish is made from vegetable oil or unsalted butter, which are good fats for the body. You can also replace the sweetener with diet sugar, fresh cow’s milk with nut milk to suit your diet.
Baked cornbread in the microwave is not only quick but a lot easier. This simple cake can also be combined with many different ways of eating Americans from North to South, bringing unique flavor and good nutrition for health.
It is quick and easy to make, easy to consume, and unburned, so do not hesitate to enjoy it with the family!